Friday, September 2, 2011

rant - be warned

The last time I checked, we were halfway through 2011. That's a decade into the new century. That's 91 one years since women were given the right to vote. That's 45 years since the Civil Rights act of '64. Considering that we, as a people, have afforded rights to both women and blacks for such a long period of time, I have to say that I'm disgusted with the internet banter that is highlighting during their newscasts regarding Chaz Bono's appearance on Dancing With the Stars.

ABC obviously thought long and hard about Chaz's participation. I'm sure they discussed, at least behind closed doors, the conversations that would occur when they announced the members of the cast. They recognize Chaz as a man and have partnered him with Laci, one of the coolest chicks on the set.

Mothers are being interviewed saying things like "it is hard for us to explain to our children what transgendered means," and "we will not be watching because this is not the kind of moral behavior that we want our families exposed to." Really? REALLY? I'm guessing that you didn't have difficulty explaining why Lisa Rinna's lips look like they do, am I right? I'm guessing that you might have reminisced with your daughter about how "cute" Lance Bass was when he was in that boy band? But, I'm guessing that you skirted the conversation about Bristol Palin getting pregnant when she was seventeen, am I right? And I'm guessing that you avoided explaining why Lil' Kim was once in prison, yes?

Chaz Bono is living his life with honesty. If those mothers can answer my above questions with the same truth, then I'll shut up.

No comments: